The Rockefeller Apartments
17 West 54th Street / 24 West 55th Street
With a distinctive turreted façade of beige brick facing the Museum of Modern Art’s Sculpture Garden, The Rockefeller Apartments were designed in 1936 by the architect, Wallace K. Harrison, and engineer, J. André Fouilhoux. Both worked on the design team which developed Rockefeller Center. Harrison, in particular, convinced Nelson A. Rockefeller to move away from Art Deco ornamentation to a sleek, streamlined exterior which the revered architectural historian, Christopher Gray, called “the apotheosis of European modernism in New York.”
Designated a New York City landmark in 1984, it remains an iconic and elegant residential complex. Originally built with 208 units and professional spaces, the two separate structures are adjoined by a serene central garden. Apartments retain herringbone floors, ship-like terraces out of a Carole Lombard movie, and the fascination of the architectural community as to its inspired design and planned restoration.
In collaboration with the Board and other professionals, Sacks Real Estate Management is coordinating all elements in a long-planned, phased-in renovation of The Rockefeller Apartments. In a serendipitous discovery, MOMA is a reference for the restoration, as the museum holds some of the original paint samples and other design elements used when The Rockefeller Apartments opened, 80 years ago.
970 PARK AVENUE
970 Park Avenue is an elegant landmarked Georgian Revival style building comprised of red brick, terra cotta, and granite. Designed by Schwartz & Gross, one of the architects whose numerous apartment houses helped shape the face of the Upper East and West Sides, this attractive structure was completed in 1912.
760 PARK AVENUE
Built in 1924 by the construction company, Starrett Brothers and Eken, which is most famous for the Empire State Building, 760 Park Avenue is a 14-story neo-Renaissance residential apartment building at 72nd Street and Park Avenue. Designed by W. L. Rouse and L.A. Goldstone, 760 Park includes thirteen grand, full floor apartments, with maids rooms. Starrett Brothers & Eken was responsible for many important Manhattan high-rise office buildings in the 1920s, and later residential developments. Starrett Brothers & Eken also constructed 660 Park Avenue in 1926, another 14-story building in which the thirteen apartment layouts are considered identical to those at 760 Park Avenue.
235 EAST 73RD ST
Part of an enclave of six apartment buildings between Second and Third Avenues completed in 1936, developed by Bing & Bing and designed by the fabulous Emory Roth, considered the inhouse architect of the builder known for establishing standards of luxurious living on the Upper East Side. In a complex called Eastgate, the buildings are designed as three sets of twins on opposite sides of the street with Georgian and Tudor influences. The facades share intriguing texture and use of the same masonry materials, including rich red brick, ochre stone and terracotta tile. Interiors have sunken living rooms and decorative fireplaces, and penthouse apartments feature setback designs and beautiful terraces. One of the 29 apartment buildings bought by M.J. Raynes in 1985, it was converted to a cooperative in 1987. At that time, Meryl Sacks began serving 235 East 73rd Street as its property manager and is pleased to remain so to-date as she opens Sacks Real Estate Management.
66 EAST 83RD ST
Developed by the renown brothers Bing & Bing in 1912, this statuesque four-story co-op in Carnegie Hill originated as three separate townhouses – 64, 66, and 68. Notable for its Grecian design signatures of classical architecture, the three were combined into one building in 1939, when a central elevator was added and a new Certificate of Occupancy was issued. The co-op, now known as 66 East 83rd Street, was part of a parcel of luxurious apartment buildings sold in 1985 by Bing & Bing to M.J. Raynes, in addition to 970 Park Avenue, and 235 East 73rd Street, all managed by Sacks Real Estate Management.