235 East 73rd
235 EAST 73RD ST
Part of an enclave of six apartment buildings between Second and Third Avenues completed in 1936, developed by Bing & Bing and designed by the fabulous Emory Roth, considered the inhouse architect of the builder known for establishing standards of luxurious living on the Upper East Side. In a complex called Eastgate, the buildings are designed as three sets of twins on opposite sides of the street with Georgian and Tudor influences. The facades share intriguing texture and use of the same masonry materials, including rich red brick, ochre stone and terracotta tile. Interiors have sunken living rooms and decorative fireplaces, and penthouse apartments feature setback designs and beautiful terraces. One of the 29 apartment buildings bought by M.J. Raynes in 1985, it was converted to a cooperative in 1987. At that time, Meryl Sacks began serving 235 East 73rd Street as its property manager and is pleased to remain so to-date as she opens Sacks Real Estate Management.